hospital Baby bed
Credit: fotoVoyager/iStock/Getty Images Plus

Mother’s Miraculous Recovery from Unconsciousness at the Wheel to Rediscovering Life After Aneurysms

A mother who secured her young son in her car before losing consciousness at the wheel woke up three weeks later in the hospital with no recollection of the events that transpired.

Shelly Gill, 49, took her son Theo to Arrowe Park Hospital for a routine appointment in December last year, but the day took a harrowing turn when she collapsed at the wheel, leading to her hospitalization in the intensive care unit due to a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

Shelly, residing in Woodchurch, shared with the ECHO that her last memory before awakening in the hospital was a stranger inquiring about a parking space. Subsequently, she met this stranger, who helped her piece together the missing fragments of her memory.

Recalling the incident in an interview on December 14, Shelly revealed, “I thought I had just collapsed at the wheel while parked, but I’ve been told I started reversing out of the space and put on my handbrake, so I must have been conscious enough to know what happened.”

(Image: Shelly Gill)

According to Shelly, her son Theo, who is now five, was in the back of the car during the episode. Despite her concerns about what her son witnessed, it was later clarified that she collapsed at the wheel. A passerby ran to the hospital, and nurses transported her to the ICU, where she was resuscitated, told Liverpool Echo.

Shelly discovered that two aneurysms in her brain had ruptured, leading to emergency surgery at The Walton Centre. Placed in an induced coma and facing uncertain odds, she woke up on December 29 with no memory of the preceding events.

Upon emerging from the coma, Shelly faced challenges; she couldn’t walk or talk and had experienced a stroke alongside the hemorrhage. However, with determination and support, she began talking and walking within two weeks with the assistance of physiotherapy.

Despite her progress, Shelly grappled with memory issues and sought cognitive therapy. Referred to specialists at Clatterbridge Rehab Centre, she faced the monumental task of relearning various aspects of her life, including driving. Six months of not being alone with Theo followed, with support from family members.

Shelly emphasized the significance of being at home during her recovery and expressed gratitude for the assistance provided by an occupational therapist. While her memory gradually returned, she struggled with small details, prompting her to question whether she had turned off appliances or locked doors.

Shelly’s journey to recovery astounded healthcare professionals, and she received treatment for her other aneurysms. Recently, she made contact with the stranger who found her, and they plan to meet.

Sharing her story, Shelly aims to inspire hope for those facing similar situations, highlighting the possibility of recovery. Despite the challenges, she looks forward to a normal Christmas with her family, emphasizing the importance of cherishing life and embracing hope.

Related posts

Investigation Explores Theory Abdul Ezedi, Suspected in Clapham Chemical Attack, Might Have Died Post Last Known Appearance

Jenifer Jain

Community Rallies at Premier Inn in Support of Breastfeeding Rights After Mother’s Distressing Experience

Katherine Langford

Difficulty hearing speech could be a risk factor for dementia, study finds

Amelia Dimoldenberg