Destini couldn’t speak after the May 13th accident and couldn’t tell how she got the deep burns on her throat and right arm. While doing a challenge on TikTok, a 13-year-old girl “may never recover her mobility” after suffering horrifying burns.
Destini Crane “lived for TikToks,” claimed by her mother, but she was near death trying to reconstruct a popular video for using flammable liquid on a mirror to draw a shape and then ignite it. Destini had taken a candle, a lighter, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the bathroom of her family home in Portland, Oregon, and set her phone to record video.
The teen couldn’t speak after that day, and so cannot clarify exactly how she finished up with deep burns on her throat and right arm, but her family has faith in the volatile liquid “exploded” in the poorly discussed space. The teenager went through three agonising skin-grafting surgeries and is likely to need several more months of treatment.
“Because of the burns she’s going to have limited mobility,” Destini’s mum Andrea Crane told ABC News. “That is just going to be a lifelong thing, of her doing physical therapy to keep her mobility.”
The youngster is still heavily asleep due to the concentrated pain of her injuries but her mum thinks that when Destini wakes up and fully understands the extent of her injuries, “she’s probably going to freak out”.
Andrea blames herself for Destini’s plight, said dailystar.co.uk. “I just wasn’t present with her,” she said. “When she showed me TikToks and when she showed me what she was doing, I would be like, ‘Oh I’m busy,’ or, ‘I’m doing schoolwork.'”
The girl’s mother says that parents should keep an eye that what their kids are doing on social media. “It’s really important to be present with your children and have that transparency of, ‘Hey what are you into what? What are you doing right now?’” she said.
She also aware parents of the “Fire Challenge” – an enormously stupid and dangerous stunt where TikTokers set themselves on fire to please other Internet users.
Online safety organisation Internet Matters says: “Children may be tempted to take risks to get more of a following or likes on a video so it’s important to talk about what they share and with who.”